The trends are all positive as gift shop owners and the gifts industry at large decide if it’s time to return to live events and the Atlanta Market show in January 2022.
Consider the recent events:
- The July event was safety- and PPE-centered but began the process of returning to more-normal conditions. You can read a review of Atlanta Market Summer 2021 here, but in summary, the show beat expectations.
- That was followed by October’s Atlanta Apparel, obviously a different market than gifts, but clearly demonstrating that buyers were ready to return to shows. Atlanta Apparel at AmericasMart Atlanta exceeded pre-pandemic numbers for both buyers and suppliers. Read more about that show here.
Now as the industry prepares to register for January 2022, and as most evidence seems to point toward a waning of the Delta variant and the virus at large (knock on wood), the expectations are extremely high for the next Atlanta Market.
Here’s a step-by-step process of what you can do today to prepare yourself for this show, and to make an educated decision about whether to register. Online pre-registration is strong encouraged to expedite your at-Market arrival and update important data in the new registration system.
- Watch the video at the top of the page.
- Read the articles in sequence.
Summer 2021 Recap
October Atlanta Apparel Recap
Winter 2022 Market Preview
- If you’ve decided, click here to register.
- After you register, read the advice below on how to prepare for Atlanta.
Tops Tips for Maximizing Atlanta Market
Travel takes time and money, so when you visit Atlanta Market, you need to maximize that investment. We’ve compiled the best advice we can find, starting with what AmericasMart says. Here is a summary of the best tips assembled in two different articles.
1. Use the Market Magazine – floor plans, feature stories and advertising – to plan your trip
In summary, here are three links you need:
2. Start Building Relationships
The article linked to below has several great tips, leading with this one: – “Remember that you are the purchasing agent for your customer and not the selling agent for the manufacturer. Keep your consumer in mind.”
3. Make Writing Orders Your First Order of Business
– Don’t forget to do the retail conversion: sales in your store are always at retail prices. Always remember to “think retail.”
– Most importantly, follow the steadfast rule: buy what sells… not sell what you buy. Keep your consumer in mind.
4. Pack Smart
- Your business cards and registration details.
- A calculator.
- A simple appointment schedule.
- All credit information, including the name of your bank and financial trade references.
- Your resale business license or local sales tax number.
- A schedule of desired product delivery dates.
- Comfortable shoes to wear while walking the showrooms.
More Reading About Atlanta Market
- Atlanta Market Anticipates Strongest Market in Two Years
- October Atlanta Apparel Returns to Pre-Pandemic Levels
- Atlanta Market Summer 2021 Exceeds Expectations
Read below for advice from past attendees
Past Attendees Give Advice for Attending Atlanta Market
Considering whether you should go to Atlanta for Atlanta Market at AmericasMart? We asked retailers who made the trip for their advice.
Located in downtown Atlanta, houses the world’s single largest collection of wholesale home, gift, area rug, and apparel merchandise. Spanning more than 7 million square feet, it can be a bit intimidating for first-timers and is probably still a lot to take in for some veterans, so Smart Retailer has gathered advice and tips from people who have been there and done that.
Q. If you’ve been to AmericasMart Atlanta, what is your general advice regarding travel, staff, etc.?
“If you have a trusted business partner, divide and conquer. The market is huge, and you’ll need a detailed plan of action to accomplish your goals. Also, download the market app on your phone to make it easier.”
A Wild Soap Bar, LLC
“Bring a trusted friend or co-worker. Your first trip to AmericasMart can be overwhelming. Your buying partner can help with notes, lists, etc.”
Sticks and Steel
“Book early. The cheapest and the best deals are through https://www.americasmart.com/Markets/Hotels. Never stay south toward the airport or at the airport and plan to take the MARTA. It’s not safe unless you are always in a large group. Find your rep in each showroom. Using them doesn’t cost you more. They can also tell you what sells best in your area and who else close by may have that product.”
Copper Willow Gifts
“Avoid driving in Atlanta if possible. The shuttle service to and from the Mart is a great perk as well. Uber costs less than a taxi. It’s important to book way ahead for the best rates.”
Interior Expressions by Design, Inc.
“Plan your lunch early or late due to the long lines. Keep water and snacks with you. Eating dinner is a challenge due to long waits, so eat early rather than later. The shuttle buses are amazing but watch their operating times.”
Q. What is your advice for first-time attendees?
“Have a buying plan, often called an open to buy. Know how much you plan to buy at wholesale by category. Do not overspend. Have a list of vendors and lines by category. Walk the first day and take notes. Try to stay in the section that has the categories that you carry.”
“However long you think you want to be at AmericasMart, add on one day or even two. You’ll be happy you did once you return back to your store.”
Gina Lempa & Associates
“Have a focus and a plan. Save one day to source new products and vendors. Download the Mart App to your phone. Pack a couple of snacks.”
Interior Expressions by Design, Inc.
“Pre-shop showrooms prior to placing orders. It’s the key to building complete statements between multiple vendors. Preselecting what you want also makes it much easier for both you and your sales rep when you return to place your order.”
The 800 Shop at Northwest Community Hospital
“Have a rolling bag to put catalogs, handouts, and a bottle of water in. Wear comfortable clothes and sneakers. This is not a fashion show; it is a test of endurance.”
Thelma L. Hamilton Designs
“Study the building maps, review the category layouts, and map out your agenda by building. Download and use the app. It will help you do your work prior to arrival.”